Monday, September 14, 2015

Compost project

Solar City sent us a $100 big box store gift certificate for signing up for solar (I'm looking forward to posting about this). I used it to purchase the supplies I needed to make a larger compost bin. Using the instructions from here, I made, over the course of 2 weekends, this lovely plant rotting device!
The grapefruit tree gets in the way a little, I'm still working on the final location. After all, it's really all about your soil when planting to grow. Plus our weekly garbage can is much lighter since I started composing in March.

 The sunset last night was remarkable. The green area by the fence is my watermelon patch. Yes I still have lawn, give me some time, it'll come out when I'm good and ready for it!

Creepy warning!

The first day on a walk with Ginger since her stiches, we ran into a dead rattlesnake. Right by our house. Yuck.

To go along with my previous post, this Desert Museum Palo Verde is going to need years of shaping, but is healthy enough for the job. I'd match another one on the other side of the driveway, the same distance from the curb.

We call this "the hospital". This is where I nurse my plants that struggle with summer heat or needed special attention. I have not been able to get the Moroccan mound to root no matter what I try, otherwise things are good here.

I planted an inordinate amount of plants on Labor Day, photos to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment