Friday, June 26, 2015

Backyard

While the front yard is all native, drought resistant, water wise, desert adapted, the back is lush tropical or garden area, that probably wastes water. But I do love it.

A 4x4 raised bed, with 2 tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, kale, cucumber, watermelon, and jalapeno. Along the wall is a grape trellis for table grape, Thompson seedless, and another variety.

....and a pool. Ok, so the back isn't water wise. But I have a beautiful variegated agave attenuata.

It maybe a little sunburned, but it's an absolute gorgeous species. I'd like to get the green variety too.

I also have an agave bracteosa back here. In the back by the pool I want the spineless toothless varieties, and I think these 2 are the only common varieties.

I can't believe how heart tolerant cana lilies are.

The hibiscus....not so much. I've been nursing this one for 6 months.

Here is my agave pup section, and cactus, euphorbia, dracaena draco starting area. Plus some sweet peppers, bell peppers, bean starts, squash starts, lemon grass, kale, some bok choy that bolted and I'm growing for seed. A Mexican lime tree in a container.

The herb and flower garden. Chocolate mint, tomato, zucchini, onion, chives, red onion, garlic chives, oregano, sweet basil and purple basil. A pot with parsley, sage, and thyme (German and lemon). Can you tell what's missing? After planting this I had to add rosemary.

This is my most exciting project going in this coming week. A "three sisters" garden; corn, beans, squash. I ordered native seeds that have been grown here in the low desert for centuries. I ordered sweet corn, Maricopa. Once the corn is 4" I'll plant tepary beans and rattlesnake beans to climb the corn. And I'll plant a yellow flesh watermelon, dipper gourds, and a winter squash. I'm looking forward to reporting more. This is the week the native peoples planted their 2nd crops, timed for the monsoon rains. All the seeds are native to this area, all used by the Tohono O'Odham.

Desert Rose, Adenium obesum. Purchased at the Phoenix Botanical Garden.

Pomegranate wonderful, the edible kind. Apparently the other pomegranate planted here are ornamental.

Banana, unknown variety. Moon Valley nursery said it's an edible variety. I know Whitfil has dwarf Cavendish (which is the variety of banana we all eat everyday and *little known fact here* the single item Walmart sells the most quantity of)




Black mission fig, struggling with the heat and sun.




The other garden, full of pumpkin, squash, and watermelon. Celery, broccoli, cauliflower, kale. The broccoli and cauliflower are growing and are green, but no produce, and I don't expect it, but they haven't bolted yet either. The filtered sunlight under the sissou tree may help. Notice the white pumpkin.

Curious as to how long he'll last and what he'll eventually look like.

Compost, 90 gallons, and about ready to use on the corn garden. On the right is the only grapefruit I enjoy eating.

Potting table, recycled from Jeff's room, it's falling apart and bowed.

Finally, this is where Lori and I take our coffee every morning. Peaceful.



No comments:

Post a Comment