Wednesday, June 17, 2015

First post

Inspired by agaves, and 2 blogs out of southern California, A Growing Obsession and Piece of Eden, I wanted to replicate what they do, but focused on here in the Valley of the Sun. The only blog from here I'm aware of, admittedly I'm hardly aware at all, is a great blog AZ Plant Lady.
So, without further ado....this morning after an appointment is Phoenix I stopped by a nursery I haven't been to, but have been meaning to get to, Whitfill Nursery. They had some real treasures I took home with me, an agave gentryi "Jaws", an a. colorata, and my favorite an a. bovicornuta with some striation, light multi-coloring. They had some great selections. In fact, leaving there I thought to myself, "I should start a blog along the lines of the ones I read for Arizona desert plants. So for now the photos are weak, the formatting is rough. But over time, like a plant, it'll look better!
Heading back across town on Glendale I stopped at another new nursery, Desert Gardens Nursery. They had some great specimens, and a few beautiful a. guingola "creme brulee" in 7 gallon pots. As I wandered the agave section I noticed about 10 one gallon pots with pup creme brulees. I asked if he'd be willing to sell, and I picked up a pup for 1/10 of the price of the adult. Very productive day!
 
A. gentryi "jaws".

A. colorata, with a pup.

A. bovicornuta, notice the 2 colors on the back leaf.

A. Guingola, I'm pretty excited I was able to get this so small so I can watch it grow through the years.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,

    Thank you for the mention. I appreciate it! It's so nice to see an Arizona garden blog!

    I love agave and Agave bovicornuta and A. colorata are two of my favorites!

    I look forward to keeping up with your Arizona garden adventures!

    Best,
    Noelle 'AZ Plant Lady'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog! It's inspired me for a while now. You may be pleased to know that I have shared your pruning tips with our HOA president, and he has changed our landscape company to a more hospitable landscape company, as well as sharing your posts with residents who call in wondering why the shrubs look different now, rangy, and not manicured perfectly.

    ReplyDelete