Thursday, June 25, 2015

New agaves planted.

I finally decided on a good spot for the a. bovicornuta. Centered on the window, where it can be a specimen piece.

My cow's horn, a. bovicornuta. Notice the slight variegation.

Here's a picture with most of the view of the front. On the lower level, a. murphyi, the golden barrels, a. colorata, a. macrocantha, a. guingola, and lantana. The deer grass muhlenbergia capillaris 'Lenca' Regal Mist is peeking out behind the rock wall.

It was interesting to read that the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum discourages any grasses except Muhlenbergia.

A. colorata views. I love the leaf impression patterning of this species.

My current favorite agave, a. guingola "creme brulee". I hope it gets specimen sized, however for now it's under shade cloth.

My yard guy Todd had another house he does that had an a. macrocantha with pups galore. So we grabbed 2 a few weeks ago and planted them (left photo). On the right is a picture of the a. murpheyi. I don't think it's a beautiful species, but it was important to the Hohokam people as a food source. So for historical and heritage reasons I wanted to plant it.

Now on to the upper level of the front yard.

There are 2 a. parryi truncata 'artichoke' by the window, a. bovicornuta in the middle of the window, Mexican honeysuckle, a. lophantha 'fatal attraction' on the right by the small rock and landscape light. The bottom right agave is a. potatorum 'verschaffeltii'

A better view of the a. potatorum 'verschaffeltii' on the left, and a. potatorum 'lucky crown' or 'kissho kan' bottom right.

Potted are a. lophantha 'quadricolor' left and 'blue glow' agave hybrid of a. attenuata and a. ocahui on the right.

This little fighter is a desert milkweed. Hopefully it fills out.

A. desmettiana.

Now all I need is to squeeze my a. gentryi 'jaws' somewhere in the front, not a pot.






No comments:

Post a Comment